Best wishes for a safe and prosperous 2008!
This is the twentieth anniversary of the year’s worst reporting from the Media Research Center, known as the Best of Notable Quotables.
Of all the liberal biased comments from various media sources, whether electronic or print, the MRC has diligently gleaned through them all, selected the worst of them all, and submitted them to a panel of judges to assign a point total, giving us the worst of the year, and there is one clear winner, as the quote of the year.
“As Violence Falls in Iraq, Cemetery Workers Feel the Pinch”
— Headline over an October 16 story by McClatchy News Service reporters Jay Price and Qasim Zein.
There are sixteen categories, from which the judges had to review them all, ranging from ‘America Makes Us Sick,’ to ‘Tin Foil Hat.’
As there are many that attack President Bush, on many different topics, and not just the GWOT, here are a few selected quotes I found worthy of mention, in this festival of journalistic incompetence, as they are category winners.
Senator Barack Obama: “Let’s roll back the Bush tax cuts on the wealthiest Americans, let’s make certain that those resources go to the people who need it….We’re not going to solve it by pretending that issues of poverty and struggle among working families are just going to go away magically because the stock market is going up.”
Moderator Chris Matthews: “So much of what you say just grabs people like me, because it sounds like Bobby Kennedy. It sounds like the ’60s at its absolute best.”
— Exchange at AFSCME Democratic candidates forum shown live on MSNBC, June 19. [78 points]
“I’m just saying if he did die, other people, more people would live. That’s a fact.”
— Host Bill Maher on his HBO show Real Time, March 2, discussing how a few commenters at a left-wing blog were upset that an attempt to kill Vice President Cheney in Afghanistan had failed. [91 points]
Co-host Harry Smith: “President Bush getting ready to go to Europe for the G-8. The folks in the European Union want to do emissions reductions. The President said yesterday we’re not going to participate….If you were president, you would have probably signed on?”
Former Vice President Al Gore: “Yeah, yeah.”
Smith: “Do you mind if I-? [holds up a ‘Gore 2008’ pin]…There you go. You can hold it. [laughter]….Here, let’s see what it looks like. [holds pin to Gore’s lapel]…All right, all right. Save that in a freeze frame.”
— Exchange on CBS’s The Early Show, May 30. [64 points]
On and on it goes, and many of the runners-up in each category are worthy of being the best…or worst…whatever!
At the end of the list is a page listing the judges used to rate these quotes. I take my hat off to them for their efforts, they are certainly better men and women than me, but then they don’t mention how much Pepto-Bismol or barf bags were needed to complete this task.
I also commend the hard working employees of MRC for their diligence in listening to every inane comment made by the various journalist in this country, and compiling such an enormous amount of information for the judges to review, and for us to read, and to view, as videos of these comments are also available.
I experienced a full range of emotions, going through this list, but I had to rate and vote on the reaction that I experienced the most, and the winner is:
Yes, Virginia. There is a War on Terror.
National security is the number one issue of the Republican primary for a very good reason. Muslim terrorism is real. It is a threat that America cannot ignore. It is the reason that Republicans must prevail in the 2008 elections. The Sun offers this reminder, lest we forget.
Qari Hifzur Rehamn, 60, spoke openly of imposing Islamic law’s stoning and beheading on Britain – as Pakistan was rocked by unrest over the assassination of Benazir Bhutto.
He warned: “We want Islamic law for all Pakistan and then the world.
“We would like to do this by preaching. But if not then we would use force.”
Rehamn, 60, spoke in the Pakistani town of Kahuta as the call to prayer echoed over the dusty streets.
He is Imam of the town’s fundamentalist religious school or madrassa, where classes for kids as young as nine include Jihad or Holy War and barbaric punishments.
His teachings are frightening enough. But his mosque lies in the shadow of the secret bunker where Pakistan produces nuclear weapons.
And when asked if it would be right to nuke British infidels, he laughed and answered: “Probably.”
Anthony Dixon scored on a 1-yard run with 1:54 remaining, Derek Pegues had two interceptions and Mississippi State kept Central Florida’s Kevin Smith from breaking the single-season rushing record in a 10-3 victory at the Liberty Bowl on Saturday.
In a game featuring anemic offenses and few big plays, the Bulldogs (8-5) kept Central Florida (10-4) out of the end zone and held Smith to 119 yards. The junior finished 61 yards shy of Barry Sanders’ single-season record of 2,628 yards set for Oklahoma State in 1988.
It was the lowest scoring Liberty Bowl since Penn State beat Tulane 9-6 in 1979.
Dixon finished with 66 yards and won the game with a 1-yard dive after Kyle Israel threw his third interception.
The Bulldogs held the Knights to 219 yards and forced four turnovers.
ISLAMABAD: A close aide to Benazir Bhutto told on Saturday she saw a bullet wound in the Pakistani opposition leader’s head when she bathed her body after her assassination.
Bhutto’s spokeswoman Sherry Rehman, who said she was in the former premier’s motorcade at the time of the gun and suicide attack, rejected government claims that the death was caused when Bhutto’s head hit her sunroof.
“I was actually part of the party which bathed her body before the funeral,” said Rehman, who added that her car was used to transport Bhutto to hospital.
“There was a bullet wound I saw that went in from the back of her head and came out the other side.
“We could not even wash her properly because the wound was still seeping. She lost a huge amount of blood.”
Rehman accused the government of mounting a cover-up over Bhutto’s death. “The hospital was made to change its statement. They never gave a proper report,” she said.
“I believe the interior ministry is saying that she died from some concussion that may have taken place against the sunroof.
“This is ridiculous, dangerous nonsense because it is a cover-up of what actually happened.”
Who killed Mde. Bhutto? Developing…
Tags: hospital | islamabad | accused | added | Aide | assassination | attack | bathed | Benazir | Bhutto | BULLET | caused | claims | cover-up | funeral | Government | leader | motorcade | mounting | opposition | Pakistani | Politics | Premier | Rehman | Rejected | report | Saturday | says | sherry | spokeswoman | statement | suicide | sunroof | Transport | WOUND
Something to read on a slow Saturday.
“I’ve made up my mind. Don’t confuse me with the facts.” That saying most appropriately sums up the year in climate science for the fanatic global warming crowd.
As Al Gore, the United Nations, grandstanding politicians and celebrities, taxpayer-dependent climate researchers, socialist-minded Greens, climate profiteers and other members of the alarmist railroad relentlessly continued their drive for greenhouse gas regulation in 2007, the year’s scientific developments actually pointed in the opposite direction. Here’s the round-up:
1. Cracked crystal balls. Observed temperature changes measured over the last 30 years don’t match well with temperatures predicted by the mathematical climate models relied on by the U.N.’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), researchers reported.
The models predict significantly warmer atmospheric temperatures than actually occurred, despite the availability of more and better quality data and improved modeling efforts since the late-1970s.
“We suggest, therefore, that projections of future climate based on these models be viewed with much caution,” the researchers concluded. Read more…
2. The big yellow ball in the sky. The Sun may have contributed 50 percent or more of the global warming thought to have occurred since 1900, according to a new historical temperature reconstruction showing more variation in pre-industrial temperatures than previously thought.
The researchers found that “the climate is very sensitive to solar changes and a significant fraction of the global warming that occurred during the last century should be solar induced.” Read more…
3. Pre-SUV warming. Another new temperature reconstruction for the past 2,000 years indicates that globally averaged temperature 1,000 years ago was about 0.3 degrees Celsius warmer than the current temperature. Since that climatic “heat wave” obviously wasn’t caused by coal-fired power plants and SUVs, the current temperature is quite within natural variability, deflating alarmists’ rash conclusions about the warming of the past 50 years. Read more…
4. A disciplined climate. Runaway global warming — the alarmist fantasy in which a warmer global temperature causes climatic events that, in turn, cause more warming and so-on in a never-ending positive feedback loop — was cornered by new data from researchers at the University of Alabama-Huntsville (UAH). The new research sheds light on the mechanism by which the atmosphere self-regulates. Read more…
5. A gnarly wipeout. Climate alarmists gleefully surfed a 2005 study that claimed greenhouse gas emissions would slow Atlantic Ocean circulation and cause a mini ice age in Europe. But an international team of researchers reported that the intensity of the Atlantic circulation may vary by as much as a factor of eight in a single year. The decrease in Atlantic circulation claimed in the 2005study falls well within this variation and so is likely part of a natural yearly trend, according to the new study. Read more…
6. A pollution solution. A new study reported that the solid particles suspended in the atmosphere (called “aerosols”) that make up “brown clouds” may actually contribute to warmer temperatures — precisely the opposite effect heretofore claimed by global warming alarmists.
“These findings might seem to contradict the general notion of aerosol particles as cooling agents in the global climate system …,” concluded the researchers. Read more…
7. Lazy temperature? Researchers reported that the rate of manmade carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions was three times greater during 2000 to 2004 than during the 1990s. Since increasing atmospheric C02 levels allegedly cause global warming, the new study must mean that global temperatures are soaring even faster now than they did during the 1990s, right?
Wrong. According to the most recent data from the U.S. Department of Commerce’s National Climatic Data Center, ever-changing global temperatures are in no way keeping pace with ever-increasing atmospheric carbon dioxide levels. Read more…
8. Don’t plant that tree! Researchers reported that while tropical forests exert a cooling influence on global climate, forests in northern regions exert a significant warming influence on climate. Based on the researchers’ computer modeling, forests above 20 degrees latitude in the Northern Hemisphere — that is, north of the line of latitude running through Southern Mexico, Saharan Africa, central India and the southernmost Chinese Island of Hainan — will warm surface temperatures in those regions by an estimated 10 degrees Fahrenheit by the year 2100. Read more…
9. The Tropical Arctic. Dutch researchers reported that during a period of intense global warming 55 million years ago — when the Arctic Ocean was as warm as 73 degrees Fahrenheit — there was a tremendous release of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. But which came first, the warming or the greenhouse gases?
It was the warming, according to the researchers. Read more…
10. Much ado about nothing. In a report to Congress, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency revealed greenhouse gas regulation to be quite the fool’s errand. In estimating the atmospheric levels of greenhouse gases 90 years from now under both a scenario where no action is taken to reduce manmade emissions and a scenario where maximum regulation is implemented, the estimated difference in average global temperature between the two scenarios is 0.17 degrees Centigrade.
For reference purposes, the estimated total increase in average global temperature for the 20th century was about 0.50 degrees Celsius.
That’s what researchers have reported this year. And let’s not forget the spanking a British high judge gave Al Gore’s movie for all its scientific inaccuracies and the thrashing non-alarmist climate scientists gave to alarmist climate scientists in a debate sponsored by the New York debating society Intelligence Squared.
Al Gore and the alarmist mob claim the debate about the science of global warming is “over.” Given the developments of 2007, it’s easy to see why they would want it that way.
Imprimez vos contenus digitaux en livre avec BlookUp !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"ONE HELL OF A WRITER"--Derrick Jensen, award-winning author of Endgame~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Making footprints in the sand that become a path to your door via social media.
Be what you are..
"see the world through my lens"
PAINTING LEAVES IN ORTHODOXY - EASTERN ORTHODOX CHURCH ╰⊰¸¸.•¨* Abel-Tasos Gkiouzelis - http://gkiouzelis.wordpress.com - Email: email@example.com - Feel free to email me…! I wish you always have the smile of God in your heart...! May to be always near Holy Confession!⊰¸¸.•**••.¸╰⊰¸¸.•¨*••.╰⊰¸¸.•¨*••.╰⊰¸¸.•¨*••.¸╰⊰¸¸.•**╰⊰*⊰¸¸.•**••.¸╰⊰¸¸.•¨*••.¸╰⊰¸¸.•¨*••.¸╰⊰*⊰¸¸.•**•• Ζωγραφίζοντας Φύλλα στην Ορθοδοξία - Ανατολική Ορθόδοξη Εκκλησία ╰⊰¸¸.•¨* Άβελ-Τάσος Γκιουζέλης - http://gkiouzelis.wordpress.com - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org - Στήλτε οτιδήποτε επιθυμείτε…! Να έχετε το χαμόγελο του Θεού στην καρδιά σας, πάντα κοντά στην γλυκιά Θεία Εξομολόγηση! ⊰¸¸.•**••.¸╰⊰¸¸.•¨*••.╰⊰¸¸.•¨*••.╰⊰¸¸.•¨*••.¸╰⊰¸¸.•**╰⊰*⊰¸¸.•**••.¸╰⊰¸¸.•¨*••.¸╰⊰¸¸.•¨*••.¸╰⊰*⊰¸¸.•**•• Ωρες Εξομολόγησης: https://workersectingreece.wordpress.com/ores-eksomologisis/
Un blog que tiene como objetivo sacar una sonrisa a la gente <3
Nu-mi dați sfaturi. Știu sa greșesc și singur
Sharing our love affair with food
Orthodox Heart Sites - Ορθόδοξα Ιστολόγια ⊰¸¸.•**••.¸╰⊰¸¸.•¨*••.╰⊰¸¸.•¨*••.╰⊰¸¸.•¨*••.¸╰⊰¸¸.•**╰⊰*⊰¸¸.•**••.¸╰⊰¸¸.•¨*••.¸╰⊰¸¸.•¨*••.¸╰⊰*⊰¸¸.•**•• PAINTING LEAVES IN ORTHODOXY - EASTERN ORTHODOX CHURCH ╰⊰¸¸.•¨* Abel-Tasos Gkiouzelis - http://gkiouzelis.wordpress.com - Email: email@example.com - Feel free to email me…! I wish you always have the smile of God in your heart...! May to be always near Holy Confession!⊰¸¸.•**••.¸╰⊰¸¸.•¨*••.╰⊰¸¸.•¨*••.╰⊰¸¸.•¨*••.¸╰⊰¸¸.•**╰⊰*⊰¸¸.•**••.¸╰⊰¸¸.•¨*••.¸╰⊰¸¸.•¨*••.¸╰⊰*⊰¸¸.•**•• Ζωγραφίζοντας Φύλλα στην Ορθοδοξία - Ανατολική Ορθόδοξη Εκκλησία ╰⊰¸¸.•¨* Άβελ-Τάσος Γκιουζέλης - http://gkiouzelis.wordpress.com - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org - Στήλτε οτιδήποτε επιθυμείτε…! Να έχετε το χαμόγελο του Θεού στην καρδιά σας, πάντα κοντά στην γλυκιά Θεία Εξομολόγηση! ⊰¸¸.•**••.¸╰⊰¸¸.•¨*••.╰⊰¸¸.•¨*••.╰⊰¸¸.•¨*••.¸╰⊰¸¸.•**╰⊰*⊰¸¸.•**••.¸╰⊰¸¸.•¨*••.¸╰⊰¸¸.•¨*••.¸╰⊰*⊰¸¸.•**•• Ωρες Εξομολόγησης: https://workersectingreece.wordpress.com/ores-eksomologisis/
Learning to live and love in Japan.
Tips and tricks on adulting in the 2010s
Exploring the world of marketing to dads
A desultory traveler beyond limits. Sharing his travel experiences and random views.
A topnotch WordPress.com site
Torte del passato riviste in chiave moderna