1) The Obama State Department says it has revoked the diplomatic visas for four Honduran officials working in its interim government.
The announcement comes as the United States has been pressing for Honduras to allow the return of exiled President Manuel Zelaya. source
2) The Obama administration has turned off an electronic sign at the U.S. diplomatic mission in Havana that displayed pro-democracy and human rights messages to Cuban passers-by.
The news ‘zipper’ on the fifth floor of the American Interest Section in the Cuban capital had riled the government for the past three years.
But it is now shut down amid the administration’s efforts to engage with Cuba’s leadership that has already seen some U.S. sanctions eased. Source
3) Unchecked Global Warming Would Mean More Heat Waves, More Flooding, and Reduced Crop Yields in [Insert Your State Here], New Report Finds … Source
4) Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) was the only Republican to support Sotomayor. The Senate cmte’s Dems voted unanimously for the Bronx native. Can you say “primary?” source
5) McCain Flip-flops on Missile Defense … The former Republican nominee for President, current U.S. Senator from Arizona, and minority Ranking Member on the U.S. Senate Armed Services Committee John McCain has chosen in his current position not to challenge Obama and this administration on their reduction of funding and deployment of missile defense, as he previously promised. source
6) House lawmakers voted 264-153 to approve the annual health and education spending bill that cut funding for Community-Based Abstinence Education. Also according to the Obama recommendations, Congress in late June chose not to renew the smaller abstinence-education funding initiative known as Title V.
Instead, the Departments of Health and Human Services, Education and Labor money will be directed to a new $114 million initiative to promote contraceptives and explicit sex education. Source
7) Ten Things You’re Not Supposed to Know About the Swine Flu Vaccine … Source
8 ) George Voinivich blames GOP woes on Southerners. Gee. I thought the GOP’s problems could be traced straight to candy-assed Republicans like Voinivich. Source
9) Obama applies The Chicago Way to the non-partisan CBO, and voila! The analysis by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office said a government-run health insurance plan proposed by Democrats would not drive private insurers out of business, and most people would still choose to get their medical coverage through their employers. Source
10) It’s a Religion of Peace™ (part 470,914) “We are getting a glimpse of what happens when Muslims who refuse to accept American values and principles gain political power in an American community,” said Richard Thompson, president and chief counsel of Thomas More Law Center… . Source
Filed under: News and politics | Tagged: abstinence education, CBO, cuba, global warming hysteria, honduras, john mccain, lindsey graham, News and politics, regional bigotry, religion of peace, sonia sotomayor, the chicago way, voinivich hates southerners | Comments Off